Saturday, July 12, 2008

There is no price tag for Hope

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all.

                                                                                                                                  ~Emily Dickinson




I received an update from Women for Women International today about the woman I currently sponsor,Marie . She will graduate in September. I felt my eyes fill with tears as I read how she has been able to rebuild her life. She attends classes about rights education, domestic violence, women's legal rights, disease prevention, family health, and voting. She is now "connected to a new community of women, which helps to reinforce and promote her personal development and rebuild the safety net destroyed by war". She will learn market based skills to help her find employment or start her own business.
They described the graduation ceremony as a celebration. "The participants and their families bring food and share their testimonies on how their lives have changed; and a great deal of hugging, laughing, and dancing."
When I think of these women and communities that have been broken down by war and left with nothing, whose families have been tortured, killed, or both, I cannot comprehend how they cope day to day. When I am feeling particularly challenged or remotely sorry for myself (for whatever silly reason) I think of these women. They inspire me. So I will continue, probably for as long as this program is around, to support these women, one at a time (more if I can afford to), I will hold out my hand and help pull her up. I am so thankful for this organization dedicated to changing lives for these women; I wish I could describe the satisfaction I have knowing I helped make one life better in some small way. ( my heart is smiling ) You cannot put a price on that. It is worth so much more than I donate. So much more.


 
Spread hope.

2 comments:

  1. Gabrielle ThompsonJuly 17, 2008 at 11:40 AM

    I agree--Women for Women is wonderful! My sister is in the Democratic Republic of Congo. They have so little and we have so much. It makes me even more aware every day to count my blessings. The "field notes" on the WforW homepage (it is a drop down from the far right tab) were something I just got around to reading. It made me cry three times. I didn't realize how few rights women have in Kosovo! Gabrielle M. Thompson, Marion, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Gabrielle. I just love this organization!

    ReplyDelete